Search This Blog

May 15, 2013

Test Results :: Eventide

1 - Plain, 2 - Plain (reduced), 3 - w/ Silver Leaf, 4 - w/ Silver Leaf (reduced & encased), 5 - w/ Silver Glass Frit (reduced), 6 - w/ TerraNova2 Frit, 7 - w/ Silver Glass Frit Stringer (encased), 8 - Over Silver Foil, 9 & 10 - w/ Tuxedo, Copper Green, Opal Yellow, Ivory and Peace

Eventide is a new Creation is Messy Limited Run, and it is very interesting with silver. I generally describe a colour's hue up here in the first paragraph, but as you will see below, I'm a little confused about what colour Eventide is.


If you read my post about Blue Steel last week, you already know that I may have been having some flame chemistry challenges when I made these beads. Like with Blue Steel, the bead on the left was made on a MiniCC, which was someone else's set-up. The bead on the right was made on my Minor, on a concentrator, with an oxygen hose that was, as it turns out, far longer than I needed it to be. I fixed it the other day and it made a huge difference in my flame, but I don't have any more Eventide to test, so I'm not sure if that was my problem or not.

I didn't anneal the brighter blue spacer, either, and I read on Kandice Seeber's blog (Color Addiction, here) that she believes it might be annealing that sucks the colour out of Eventide. Whatever the reason is, whether it was my oxygen levels or my kiln, the brighter blue is the colour I was hoping to retain after my bead had finished in the kiln.

Did you know that your oxygen hose only needs to be as long as the linear distance between your torch and your concentrator? I totally never even thought about it, which is a little embarrassing to admit.


I love how this colour reacts with silver. In the bead on the left, my unencased silver leaf dispersed into a lacy pattern. In the bead on the right, where I reduced and encased the silver leaf, it has turned a mottled blue colour with a dark blue halo. Often when a colour does this the silver looks smooth and shiny under the layer of Clear, but with Eventide the silver looks more jagged and dangerous.


Reducing silver glass develops vivid colour on top of Eventide, but it also fumes the Eventide a yellowish colour. The bead on the right, where I used TerraNova2 frit on top of Eventide, didn't strike as well as I might have liked. But your mileage may vary, particularly if you have more skill with the striking colours than I do.


Here, I used Eventide to make frit stringer with my reducing silver glass frit blend, and then wrapped it around the bead and encased it with Clear without reducing it. I got really pretty blue, turquoise and black striations under the encasement layer. Also, in the bead on the right, Eventide has turned the silver an interesting golden beer-bottle colour.


Eventide is not reactive with any of the colours that I typically test with. I think Peace, Ivory, Opal Yellow and Copper Green separated on top of Eventide ever so slightly, but I'm unable to come up with anything weird to report here.

This goddess bead was made with Eventide. I thought I washed her off, but she seems to still have a bit of bead release dust clinging to her. Please ignore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment