Search This Blog

June 27, 2012

Test Results :: Peace

Finally, I'm getting around to testing some of the staple colours that I test with everything else. This should probably have occurred to me at the beginning, before I tested so many colours, however we learn as we go in this life. Looking back at the early posts I made on this blog makes me laugh sometimes, and no doubt what I'm writing today will seem hilarious to me a couple of years from now. Hopefully, you're reading it all without judging me. lol.

1 - Plain, 2 - Plain (reduced), 3 - w/ Silver Leaf, 4 - w/ Silver Leaf (reduced & encased), 5 - w/ Silver Glass Frit (reduced), 6 - w/ TerraNova2 Frit, 7 - As a Floral, 8 & 9 - w/ Tuxedo, Copper Green, Opal Yellow, Ivory

CiM Peace has been one of my staple colours for quite a while now. I like it because it is a true White. Vetrofond White, while beautiful, has a slightly bluish cast to it. Effetre White is also nice, however some batches of it seem to be slightly translucent in thin layers.

I only have two complaints about CiM Peace. First, it has the same tendency as Rubino Oro to 'soot up' in the flame if you are using a little too much propane. Since I'm on a Minor with a 5lpm Oxycon, my neutral flame is probably a little reducing, so I find this occasionally frustrating. Second, I've found that when I use Peace in flower cane, if I repeatedly heat and cool the flowers, Peace will devitrify a little bit. However, both of these scenarios are avoidable so I still find Peace to be a very nice White.

Update - April 2020
More recent batches of Peace do not seem to do this 'sooting up' thing. My setup and habit of working too hot are still the same, so I can only conclude that Peace has gotten less finicky. If you were afraid of it because of the sooting problem and are still looking for a nice white, give it another try :)

Reducing Peace by itself makes it look sort of yellowish.


Silver Leaf over top of Peace forms a greyish blanket, and fumes the surface of the Peace to a rich caramel colour. When the Peace is reduced and encased, the grey colour lightens significantly, most of the caramel colour disappears and the edges of the silver look pink through the Clear.


Reducing silver glass does pretty things on top of Peace. And the surface of the Peace, around the frit, turns a gentle yellow colour. I didn't have a whole lot of luck with Peace and my TerraNova2 frit.


In terms of reactions:
  • Peace separates when used with Tuxedo. You can see in the bead on the left how the Peace has gone a bluish purple colour on top of the Tuxedo and has separated pretty dramatically. In the bead on the right, the Peace has Risen up around the Tuxedo in halos, and the Tuxedo has bled into the Peace fairly dramatically, turning it a light bluish purple.
  • Opal Yellow spreads out on top of Peace. When Peace is used on top of Opal Yellow, the edges of it turn a pinkish colour. When Opal Yellow is used on top of Peace, in additon to the spreading an interesting translucent outline and white line effect appears around the Opal Yellow stringer lines and dots. Opal Yellow seems to cause Peace to separate slightly.

Here's a fun bead with Peace - I used it in the flower cane and as the base glass for the flower petals.

No comments:

Post a Comment