Search This Blog

March 7, 2012

Test Results :: Marmorin


1 - Plain, 2 - Plain (reduced), 3 - w/ Silver Leaf, 4 - w/ Silver Leaf (reduced & encased), 5 - w/ TerraNova2 Frit, 6 - w/ Silver Glass Frit (reduced), 7 & 8 - w/ Tuxedo, Copper Green, Opal Yellow, Ivory, Peace

Effetre Marmorin is sort of an odd colour. It looks transparent when it's hot, and it doesn't completely opacify until after it has been annealed. So, it's hard to see what you're doing, and also sort of hard to see where it starts and other colours begin when working with it. Like a lot of Effetre handpulled colours, it can be a little shocky. My rods of Marmorin were 6-7mm, which is a little thicker than I'm really comfortable with, although still pretty slim compared to some of the Lauscha I have in my glass stash.

When I reduced Marmorin, it got perhaps a little shinier and a little more brown, however the slight browning and shine enhancement I see in the beads isn't really evident in the picture.  I was not able to get much of the shiny coppery lustre that was mentioned in the Frantz Newsletter back in 2009, except for where I was also using silver glass frit, and even then it didn't happen all over in any predictable way. Maybe there's a trick to it, or maybe it was a batch thing, and that batch did it but this one does not.


Silver leaf webs and gets a blue tinge to it on top of Marmorin. When the silver leaf is reduced and encased, the reaction is accentuated and has interesting greyish striations to it, as well as the blueish patches.


Marmorin seems to be a decent base for silver glass, but the results I got weren't extraordinary. I think that I understruck the TerraNova2 frit a little, but I probably do that every time. When I do this test, I'm looking for the bases that make the frit pop without me having to do a bunch of extra work. Marmorin is not that colour. The reducing silver glass frit was more exciting, developing interesting shiny outlines and beautiful iridescence. I also got just a hint of coppery colour in the Marmorin around some of the frit, although not consistently or predictably.


Effetre Marmorin has interesting reactions with most of the colours I tested it with. When Marmorin is used on top of Tuxedo, it looks grey and semi-opaque. Nothing very interesting happens when Tuxedo is used on top of Marmorin.

When Marmorin is used over Copper Green, it develops a light line around the dots and stringer lines. When Copper Green is used over Marmorin, the Copper Green separates and develops a grey, shiny outline to the dots and stringer lines.

When Marmorin is used over Opal Yellow, the Opal Yellow separates and develops wide halo bands around the Marmorin dots and stringer lines. When Opal Yellow is used on top of Marmorin, it separates into two separate colours, the edges of the dots and stringer lines turning an orangey-brown. This is bizarre and wonderful :)

When Ivory is used on top of Marmorin, it develops a brown line reaction. When Marmorin is used on top of Ivory, the brown line is fuzzier and wider, and the Marmorin itself turns an opaque grey. This is one of the most interesting reactions of the bunch, because on top of all of the other colours Marmorin looks brown and transparent, but over Ivory it looks way different.

Peace separates on top of Marmorin, but very subtly. On top of Peace, Marmorin thins out and looks transparent but the separation in the Peace is more dramatic, popping up around the Marmorin in wide, white halo bands.

I used Marmorin as the exterior of this window bead.

No comments:

Post a Comment