Search This Blog

April 10, 2013

Test Results :: Mosaic Green

1 - Plain, 2 - Plain (reduced), 3 - w/ Silver Leaf, 4 - w/ Silver Leaf (reduced & encased), 5 - w/ Silver Glass Frit (reduced), 6 - w/ TerraNova2 Frit, 7 & 8 - w/ Tuxedo, Copper Green, Opal Yellow, Ivory & Peace

Effetre Mosaic Green is another crazy colour. I seem to be writing up test results for quite a few of those lately.

Mosaic Green is a pure dark green. You can't really get greener than this colour. I'm a little confused about whether it's an opaque or a transparent, because it has a transparent colour number and is sold at Frantz as a transparent, but I have also seen it sold as an opaque colour (on Delphi's website, for one) and it seems not transparent at all to me when I use it. When pulled out into stringer, it's very transparent (but DARK), although as you can see, it is not transparent in any of these test beads.


You can see in the self-coloured spacer on the left that Mosaic Green is a crazily streaky, mottling colour. When Mosaic Green is reduced, all of the bits between the dark streaks develop a rich red copper patina.


When Silver Leaf is melted into the surface of Mosaic Green, it just kinda disappears, except for some silvery bits that seem to get stuck in the 'cracks' formed by the mottled webbing of the surface. When the silver is reduced and encased, it goes a weird blueish grey colour, in a lacy, low-surface-coverage kind of way.


Silver Glass is not particularly effective on top of Mosaic Green, although the results are sort of interesting. My reducing silver glass frit has been somewhat swallowed by the Mosaic Green so there's not much left on the surface, but for the frit that IS left on the surface, an interesting separation has occured so that the edges of the frit are far lighter than the middles of each little bit. My TerraNova2 frit struck to blue on top of Mosaic Green, but the Mosaic Green so aggressively swallowed so much of it that it's not all that evident.


On top of Tuxedo, Mosaic Green separates so that it is lighter and more opaque around the edges, and is dark and seems completely transparent in the middle of the stringer lines. This might just be an illusion because it's on black and Mosaic Green is so dark, but it's odd. Tuxedo doesn't do much on top of Mosaic Green, although the Mosaic Green underneath it in the bead on the right looks more crazily mottled than it does under either Copper Green or Opal Yellow.

Copper Green separates on top of Mosaic Green, and the separation is a lot like what it does on top of EDP, Sedona, Steel Blue, Olive, Cocoa, Flamingo, Opal Raspberry (and I'm sure I'm missing some), but there is a slight difference. The dark line in the centre of the Copper Green lines and the dots in the middle of the Copper Green dots are more of an intense blue colour than they are turquoise, and they are also super thin/small. The edges of the Copper Green stringer work look almost frayed, because of the Mosaic Green bleeding into them.

When Mosaic Green is used on top of Copper Green, a light turquoise halo pops up around the Mosaic Green stringer lines, and a darker turquoise veining remains underneath, looking kind've like grout. The Mosaic Green separates so that a dark line runs down its centre, less dramatically than with Tuxedo but still pretty intensely.

Opal Yellow on top of Mosaic Green is a pretty similar story to what I just explained about the Copper Green reaction, except that the Opal Yellow takes on a lot of the Mosaic Green colour. You can see around the edges of the Opal Yellow stringer work that there has been a crazy amount of bleeding and almost all of the yellow has some level of green contamination. Also, the line down the middle of the Opal Yellow stringer work looks black rather than blue. When Mosaic Green is used on top of Opal Yellow, the Opal Yellow rises up around it in self-coloured halos, and the Mosaic Green bleeds into it.

When Ivory stringer work is done on top of Mosaic Green, it doesn't develop a dark line reaction. It just turns a dark brownish black completely. When Mosaic Green is used on top of Ivory, all of the Mosaic Green stringer lines and dots are surrounded by a dark brown miasma, that sort of reminds me of what happens in SimCity when your industrial buildings cause ground pollution.

In order to not repeat myself too much, I'm going to cheat and say that Peace reacts with Mosaic Green in almost the exact same way as Opal Yellow when it is used on top of Mosaic Green. However, when Mosaic Green is used on top of Peace, it doesn't really get those cool raised 'halos' that the Opal Yellow gets, and the Mosaic Green bleeds into it a lot. So much that the edges of the dots and stringer lines are sort of hard to look at because of their neon green-ness.

Mosaic Green is unexpectedly beautiful in sculptural work. It looks like Malachite in my goddess bead.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you did this test. I have been wondering about this color for awhile and now I want it! Thanks for keeping your blog up, I love reading your observations of the glass colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin! I like this colour, too, more than I thought I did before I tested it. I'd been using it only in the vine cane I use from my mushroom and floral beads and this was the first time I actually went to town and made a whole bead with it.

    You're welcome on the blog front. I've set myself the impossible goal of blogging all of the 104 COE production colours. That should only take another 25 years or so :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this colour, I love all the different effects you can get with it. Plus it is a glorious green. Love your testing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Diana! It is a beautiful colour and is now one of the staples in my palette :)

    ReplyDelete