Search This Blog

November 16, 2012

Test Results :: Dark Silver Plum

1 - Plain, 2 - Plain (reduced), 3 - w/ Silver Leaf, 4 - w/ Silver Leaf (reduced & encased), 5 - w/ Silver Glass Frit (reduced), 6 - w/ TerraNova2 Frit, 7 & 8 - w/ Tuxedo, Copper Green, Opal Yellow, Ivory and Peace

Effetre Dark Silver Plum is a colour that requires some practice to get right, I think. I was not able to get the gorgeous rainbow oilslick colours that I have seen other people get with this colour, although I did get some hints of it in my goddess (see the bottom of this post). I haven't tried Dark Silver Plum in shard form, and a lot of the really beautiful things I've seen other people do with it have involved blowing it into thin shards and applying those to the bead.

Regardless, I did make some interesting discoveries about Dark Silver Plum, which I will share with you.


In the bead on the left, I applied silver leaf to the bead, burnished it in and then melted it off. Where the silver leaf touched the bead, the metallic sheen on the Dark Silver Plum is a markedly lighter colour of pinkish purple, and in some places has turned an orangey pinkish colour. This is sort of a cool development.

When the silver leaf is reduced and encased, it forms a pale lavender blanket over the Dark Silver Plum and retains some of its shininess under the clear.


My reducing silver glass frit got beautiful colour on top of Dark Silver Plum, and I got pretty neat results from my TerraNova2 frit as well although it's so dark that it's hard to see it properly. Dark Silver Plum seems to be a decent base for silver glass colours.


Dark Silver Plum is a surprisingly unreactive colour, however there are some interesting take-aways from this set of tests.
  • When Tuxedo is used on top of Dark Silver Plum, a webby outline forms around it, that is bounded by a dark line.
  • When Copper Green is used on top of Dark Silver Plum, a dark outline forms around it. On top of Copper Green, Dark Silver Plum seems to separate slightly.
  • When Peace or Ivory is used on top of Dark Silver Plum, a dark line develops around the dots/lines and the Dark Silver Plum shininess coalesces into a silver coating around the edges of that dark line. This is by far the most interesting reaction.

Here are some fun beads with Dark Silver Plum:
The goddess bead is all Dark Silver Plum. I didn't get so much of the rainbow effect that some other people get, but I did get some hints of it. The glass is curiously matte-yet-shiny.
Here, I've used Dark Silver Plum as the border/edguing for this bead.

No comments:

Post a Comment