Search This Blog

March 5, 2019

Test Results :: Petroleum Green


Effetre Petroleum Green (EFF218) is a pretty teal green opaque colour. I had never really used it before I made these beads and some things about it really surprised me.

The things that I found surprising about this colour will maybe not come as surprises to you. For one thing, this colour is very, very streaky. You can see streaks in it when you make simple spacers, and it separates like mad on top of just about everything. It's also very soft -- much softer than using other opaque teals like CiM Mermaid and Effetre Marine Green will prepare you to expect.


I expected Petroleum Green to turn red when I reduced it, but it didn't.


Silver isn't very interesting on top of Petroleum Green until you reduce and encase it and it turns a bright mustard colour. Petroleum Green has this yellow-with-silver-under-clear thing in common with Copper Green, Light Teal, Light Aqua, and Celadon.

Unfortunately, encasing the reduced silver will crack your bead. If you've made beads before with Petroleum Green and silver and then encased your beads with Effetre Super Clear only to find they cracked... well... me too.


Silver Glass is interesting on top of Petroleum Green. Because the Petroleum Green is so very soft, it rises up and swallows frit pretty easily, which is why you might be wondering why I didn't put more frit on the leftmost bead. It is a decent base for striking silver glass colours - my TerraNova2 frit got a very nice starting strike.


As I mentioned already, Petroleum Green separates on top of everyhing. It also gets a creeping brown reaction line with Ivory that is not very uniform.

Opal Yellow and Copper Green both separate on top of this colour.

Here are some beads made with Petroleum Green.





2 comments:

  1. Melanie
    I cant tell you how useful your site has been to me .
    So, I'll tell you about a discovery I have made .
    Bismuth ...... on hot glass is a big surprise, I can send you a photo
    if you like .
    Ken
    kenboydart@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken :)

    Thank you so much for reading, and for such nice feedback. It really helps me to know that it is a valuable resource to others.

    Regarding the bismuth - I am intrigued! I'd love to see any photos you wanted to share, because my glass curiousity is insatiable. After doing a bit of reading, though, I am also a bit hesitant to try it myself. It's hard to tell if it is more or less hazardous than lampworking generally, and there's lots of info about how poisonous it is. I hope you have good ventilation!

    Cheers,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete