Search This Blog

May 21, 2019

Test Results :: Tahitian Pearl


Tahitian Pearl (CiM827) is a dark greyish purple that gets shiny in the flame while you're working it. As you'll see, I went into my relationship with Tahitian Pearl expecting it to be similar to Adamantium, but ultimately found it quite a bit more like Effetre Dark Silver Plum, only with more interesting variation in surface texture.


With repeated heating and cooling, the surface of Tahitian Pearl gets all shiny, wrinkly, and uneven. I was alarmed by this when I was making these two beads together on the same mandrel. Then, I reduced the bead on the right and thought that all of the neat surface finish had gone away and was alarmed by that.

And then I took the beads out of the kiln the next morning. It turns out, the wrinkly, textured shiny finish of the unreduced Tahitian Pearl is awesome, and reducing does not take away the surface finish, it just smooths it out. Also awesome.


At first, I thought Tahitian Pearl was like a shiny version of Adamantium. Then, I made this bead and realized that Tahitian Pearl is purple while Adamantium is not, and that silly first impression of mine popped like a soap bubble.


On top of Tahitian Pearl, silver disappears. When the silver is reduced and encased on top of Tahitian Pearl, it turns yellow. Ignore the peach and pink you see on the leftmost bead. This colour doesn't turn silver leaf pink the way Dark Silver Plum does. What you're seeing there is my hand and my T-Shirt in the shiny finish. Reflective!


Tahitian Pearl makes an interesting base colour for silver glass. I got neat colours and reactions from both frit treatments here without much effort.


Here, you can see that Tahitian Pearl separates on top of Tuxedo, but apart from that it seems not to be very reactive with other colours.

This bead was made with Tahitian Pearl and Raku Mottleshards.



No comments:

Post a Comment