Search This Blog

February 3, 2011

Test Results :: Adobe


1 - Plain (reduced), 2 - Plain, 3 - w/ Silver Leaf, 4 - w/ Silver Leaf (reduced & encased), 5 - w/ TerraNova2 Frit, 6 - w/ Silver Glass Frit (reduced), 7 - w/ Tuxedo, 8 - w/ Copper Green, 9 - w/ Opal Yellow, 10 - w/ Ivory, 11 - w/ White

It's surprising that I was even able to melt any CiM Adobe Limited Run, since all I've done with my Butter Pecan Unique #3 is gently lift it out of the box, pet it lovingly and then put it away again... over and over.  This colour reminds me a lot of my Butter Pecan #3 in rod form, but since I haven't actually used any of that colour yet it's hard to say for sure. 

My favourite combinations with Adobe so far have to be when it's under Copper Green or over Steel Blue.  Adobe etches beautifully, too.  I love the soft, medium peachy brown tone of this colour and I'm sad that there doesn't seem to be any more left for sale anywhere.


I put these on the mandrel in the wrong order, which is why the reduced one is left of the plain, unreduced one.  Reducing Adobe turns it a slightly pinker, duller version of itself and makes it faintly shiny. 


Silver leaf on top of Adobe turns a bronzey colour and fumes the Adobe to a rich brown.  When the silver leaf is reduced and encased, it turns quite blue under the Clear.  The silvered Adobe is a little lighter once its been encased, but not much. 

On top of Adobe, silver glass isn't really that interesting.  I got decent colour (for me) out of both the striking and reducing silver glass frit, but you can see on the left the dirty grey halo that surrounds the fritty bits, and in the bead on the right, reducing the Adobe resulted in it taking on a slightly dirty sheen, as it did above in the disc spacer.  I can imagine circumstances where this is a desirable effect, but I'm not sure I like it much.


It's not very evident in the picture, but the Adobe has faint, shiny thin lines around it on the side where the Adobe lines and dots are on top of the Tuxedo.  The Tuxedo has bled over to the Adobe side a bit, making it look sort of dirty.


With Adobe, Copper Green takes on a darker persona.  The Copper Green dots and lines also have a subtle brown outline to them, making them stand out slightly from the rest of the bead.  The Adobe lines and dots on top of the Copper Green do not seem to do that at all, and the Adobe on top of the Copper Green looks much lighter than it did anywhere else I used it in these test beads.  These colour reactions are funny. 


Opal Yellow spreads like crazy on top of Adobe, although I think I helped it along by being sort of inept with my bead roller and mushing the bead a bit.  The Opal Yellow also has the odd look of 'floating' on top of the Adobe.  Adobe on top of Opal Yellow isn't as interesting, but the two colours are sort of pretty together, or at least they would be with an accent colour to tie them together.



Ivory spreads on top of Adobe, too, but not as much.  And on top of Ivory, Adobe bleeds a little.  You can see thin little prickles poking out from the Adobe stringerwork.  There's a bit of a reaction where the two colours meet, almost like they're afraid to touch each other.


White also spreads on top of Adobe.  I must have been tired when I made this bead because the stringerwork is unusually erratic, even for me. :P

And here are the fun beads with Adobe.  I may still be able to squeeze one or two more out since I've got one rod of this left and am forcing myself to use up all of my odds and ends before moving on to the new palette I've got planned.
 
  

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about your tests - keep them coming, and thanks for doing them!
    Yes, I looked for Adobe the other day, and was not able to find any either :O(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane!

    I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't find any either. It's a bummer when the good colours go so quickly. I'm awfully sad I didn't get more Mermaid #1, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That color looks wonderful, I'm sorry to read it's hard to get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the colour, thanks for the tests, I think I have some, got to go and look now......

    ReplyDelete