Search This Blog

February 21, 2011

Test Results :: Desert Pink Unique #2

1 - Plain, 2 - Plain (reduced), 3 - w/ Silver Leaf, 4 - w/ Silver Leaf (reduced & encased), 5 - w/ TerraNova2 Frit, 6 - w/ Silver Glass Frit (reduced), 7 - As a Floral (over Olive), 8 - w/ Tuxedo, 9 - w/ Copper Green, 10 - w/ Opal Yellow, 11 - w/ Ivory, 12 - w/ White, 13 - On Lauscha Olive


I was expecting to be really fond of CiM Desert Pink #2, because I really liked regular Desert Pink. I haven't tried Desert Pink Unique #1. On the whole, I do really like Desert Pink Unique #2 because of its reactions with silver and the way it looks with Copper Green. I should probably get some more of this colour before it sells out the way all of the uniques eventually do and there is no more of it to be had.

The colour of Desert Pink Unique #2 is a little warmer and a little darker than regular Desert Pink.  It is more reactive with silver than the original Desert Pink as well. In a thin layer, Desert Pink #2 is very translucent.  I haven't included an enlarged picture of Bead #7 (above) but you can see that the flower petals are so translucent that they almost vanish in that bead.


In the bead on the left, the Desert Pink Unique #2 has fumed a dark, rich brown from the application of silver leaf. When this effect is reduced and encased, the silver really shines up under the Clear and develops a bright, ethereal blue halo.  I like this effect a lot.

In both of these cases, the reaction is a lot like what happened with regular Desert Pink, but more intense.


Desert Pink Unique #2 does not score huge points in the silver glass department, but the reduced silver glass does look very interesting on top of it in the bead on the right, and there are some hints of colour on the bead on the left that indicates that if I'd been a little gentler with the striking of that bead I may have gotten better results.


When placed on top of Tuxedo, the Desert Pink Unique #2 develops a fine, shiny outline.  I've mentioned this a couple of times now, but a lot of colours seem to have this reaction with Tuxedo.  Regular Desert Pink, however, was not one of them.  The Tuxedo on top of Desert Pink Unique #2 doesn't have any noticeable reaction, but you can see in the middle of the bead where the two colours meet that there is a fair amount of Tuxedo bleed there.


Desert Pink Unique #2, when placed on top of Copper Green, helps the Copper Green to not develop that shiny patina. However, Copper Green on top of Desert Pink Unique #2 does sheen up.  Why?  Who knows... this glass chemistry thing is easy to observe, but more difficult to predict and diagnose.

  

I want to say something smart about these two beads, but I sort of shot myself in the foot by doing something stupid when I made them.  Unfortunately, I got my Opal Yellow and Ivory stringers mixed up and managed to completely bungle this, putting Ivory stringer on my Pink & Opal Yellow bead and putting Opal Yellow stringer on my Pink & Ivory bead.  Grrr.

Since there are no reactions I want to comment on, let's just move on to the next bead.


There is no real reaction between Desert Pink Unique #2 and White, but you can see how translucent the Desert Pink #2 is where I used it on White, because it's sort of hard to make it out.


Putting Olive on top of Desert Pink Unique #2 makes a curdled halo of Desert Pink Unique #2 pop up around the Olive stringer lines and dots.  Also, the Olive thins out a bit on top of the Desert Pink #2 and seems lighter and more translucent.  On top of Olive, mostly Desert Pink #2 just seems to disappear, but the Olive is uncharacteristically streaky underneath it.

And here is a fun bead with Desert Pink #2.  This bead is a base of Desert Pink #2, with silver leaf, TerraNova2 frit, A twistie made with Copper Green, Raku and Steel Blue and a bit of Opal Yellow and Mermaid dottage add some additional colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment