Search This Blog

June 19, 2017

Test Results :: Dark Zucca


Effetre Dark Zucca (EFF426) is a somewhat muted medium burnt orange colour. I'm working my way through a pound of it and I've really enjoyed it in my palette.  It's darker and has less colour variation than Effetre Light Zucca, and it is lighter and more orange than Effetre Spanish Leather.


Here is a picture that shows it in relation to some other colours. I didn't have any Spanish Leather left, but I picked out some others that will hopefully help you place it in the palette.  Effetre Light Zucca is a little lighter than Dark Zucca, a lot brighter, and streaked with yellow (which I love!). Effetre Coral Mango is a bit lighter and brighter as well, as are CiM Phoenix and CiM Sunset.


Dark Zucca is a pretty straightforward colour. It doesn't do a lot of streaking or mottling, and reducing it doesn't change it. It does get a brownish cast to it in places, but it's not clear to me what causes it and how (if it's even possible) one might avoid that or make it happen intentionally on only a part of the work.


Silver fumes Dark Zucca a dark greyish brown colour, and in the leftmost bead above you can see that the silver also forms a lacy crust on top of Dark Zucca and looks bluish in places. When the silver is reduced and encased, the Dark Zucca's colour returns to normal and the silver continues to look blue in places and that blue deepens and intensifies.


I rather like the way reducing silver glass frit looks on top of Dark Zucca. I got pretty colours from the frit, and the dark outline that the fritty bits get from the reaction with Dark Zucca really make them pop. In my TerraNova2 Frit bead, I'm less excited. There's so much muddy brown fuming around the silver glass frit pieces that the result looks fairly muddy. I did get some nice starting colour from the TerraNova2 though, so maybe this combination has some potential.


Dark Zucca separates on top of Tuxedo and has a reciprocal dark line reaction with Copper Green. Zucca and Copper Green have a mutual influence thing going on where both of those colours separate when used on top of the other.

Opal Yellow and Ivory both separate on top of Dark Zucca and additionally develop a sort of orange blotchiness that I find interesting. When Dark Zucca is used on top of Opal Yellow, the Opal Yellow develops a thick light halo around it. When it is used on top of Ivory, the Ivory clings to the edges of the stringer dots in lines in a way that sort of reminds me of a milk mustache.

Here are some other beads made with Dark Zucca:




No comments:

Post a Comment