Search This Blog

March 3, 2010

Test Results :: Celadon

1 - Plain, 2 - Plain - reduced, 3 - w/ Silver foil, 4 - w/ Silver foil - reduced & encased, 5 - w/ Khaos frit, 6 - w/ Silver glass frit (Gaia, Nyx, Elektra) - reduced, 7 - w/ Copper Green, 8 - w/ Tuxedo, 9 - w/ Cocoa, 10 - w/ Ivory

CiM Celadon reminds me of the colour of the stove in one of the houses my parents owned when I was a little kid. I think there were bathtubs this colour, too, way back then. And sinks. In the 60s and 70s, all of the colours had much freer reign over the appliances and fixtures of our homes. 

General Impressions
Celadon is thick, creamy and streaky. The colour is really vivid, which I can appreciate, and a lot of people really love. I prefer more muted tones, but I'm told that I need to learn to work in a brighter palette, so I'll give it a try with Celadon and see what happens.  

Because of how thick and creamy it is, it doesn't seem to have the right consistency for the beads I customarily make (I tend to gravitate to the colours that spread, curdle and change), but I guess I should look at that as a challenge.  If you're making beads where the colour needs to stand on its own and shine, or you're doing more precise kinds of surface decoration, I think it is perfect for that.

Celadon is like a much lighter version of Mermaid in a lot of ways.  It has the same consistency, and it has similar reactions except for how it behaved with Copper Green. I didn't do the reduced/encased silver over Mermaid test, and now that I don't have any Mermaid left, I'm wondering if it would have reacted the same way.  I guess that's something else I'll have to explore later.

Reduction
Celadon turns an unattractive, patchy, dark red/burgundy colour when reduced on the surface. (Bead #2)

Under Clear
Celadons lightens ever-so-slightly when encased. (the unsilvered bits of Bead #4) 

Reactions

So this is interesting... the silver sort of balls up and disappears on the surface of Celadon when it's melted in. (Bead #3) And then, when reduced and encased, it goes yellow. But not just any yellow -- it retains the shininess of the silver and actually looks like a bright, shiny gold.  I rather like this effect. (Bead #4)  I'm using Reichenbach Crystal Clear at the moment... I can't be sure what will happen with other Clears.


This is my very last bead, ever, with Khaos frit, because I finally used it all up and have moved on to TerraNova2. Silver glass seems to sort of like Celadon as a base. The Khaos bead didn't turn out awful, apart from my customary inability to keep the struck colours of it, and the reduced silver glass frit is nice and shiny on top of it.  (Beads #5 & #6)


With Cocoa (Bead #9), Celadon separates a little when placed on top of it, and the Cocoa bleeds into the Celadon a little. This reaction is similar to what I got with Cocoa and Copper Green, but way less dramatic, and only really evident on the side of the bead where I put the Celadon over the Cocoa.


Where Cocoa bled into Celadon a little, Tuxedo does it a lot. (Bead #8) And the Celadon spreads a bit and goes sort of blurry on top of the Tuxedo. I rather like the fuzzy half-separated look of the Celadon on top of the Tuxedo, and the odd bleeding between the two colours in the centre of the bead is very interesting.


On top of Copper Green (Bead #7), Celadon separates a little and forms a darker streak down the middle of lines and in the centre of dots. The Copper Green, both on top of and underneath Celadon, goes dark and shiny.  It doesn't even really look like Copper Green in this combination.


With Ivory, Celadon develops a dark line reaction. (Bead #10) This reaction is so strong that where the Celadon is placed over Ivory, the Ivory actually starts to yellow a little. I really like the Ivory on top of the Celadon -- it's a very dramatic effect.

I haven't made very many beads with Celadon yet, but here are the few I have to share:

  

No comments:

Post a Comment